Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Riviera 2011 - Part 1

Riviera 2011 (http://www.vitriviera.com/home.php)- the annual Cultural event of VIT took place this year from Jan 30 to Feb 2 this year 2011. I had wonderful experiences in this sprawling campus. Read on for more!
Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT Vellore) ... for some people, the name says it all! I had always wondered why there was such a hype about this campus. Finally I got a chance to go to this so-called VIT. I say so-called because I knew nothing about this campus till... I reached the entrance!
Wow! - that's the word. The entrance is not ordinary at all, it looks wonderful. Having seen the SRM University entrance for almost 3 years now, VIT entrance certainly surprised me a lot.
'This is how a college entrance should look like', I thought...
With my team, I went in. Within minutes, I understood that not all public can enter. Everyone was presented with an ID card. Being a College festival, this basic security measure was necessary too! Got to say the registration process followed by the accomodation booking was rather clumsily organised by them. But for the beautiful girls at the help desks, this would have been a horrible experience for us. Anyway, they provided us enough entertainment to while away the time :) !
'All the walk was like a campus tour on day 1'
We were accommodated at L block, the last block of the campus. After our building, there's just fence and open countryside. This meant that we would have to walk for 25 minutes to reach there. But man, this is VIT - we were always entertained (so many events to see) till we got to the bridge. So the long walk did not matter much. :)
They gave us a big hall for lodging (DOM they called it there) and we did not stay with fellow SRMites. The friendly cricket team had already left by the time we reached there (They lost in the Semi-finals and eventually finished third) and the table tennis team had reached the previous evening. So they were accommodated in the H block which was much nearer to the main campus.
'Damn! We should have reached the previous evening!'
I have to mention this - the restrooms were top class! I have never seen such cleanliness in any college or university I have ever visited!
Coming to food, the customary mobile canteens for Riviera11 did not please me at all. Some were branded ones like Java Green (yeah, the same SRM thing), Pizza Corner, etc. Except for the Pizza Corner, others did not live up to expectations. I did not try Pizza Corner so I am not commenting on it. All the others gave food that tasted considerably worse than the already existing Canteens in VIT! We found this only in the last day that we stayed (Feb 1). Pity!
Day 1 we found out that we indeed had 2 rounds for our chess event. As usual, the arbiter did not know a thing about rules. We had to explain more or less everything. The 1st round finally began at around 2PM, not without the usual comedies that we do (we fought for the seeding) in these events. After finishing the 2  rounds (we scored 7/8 easily), we wanted to attend the Proshows. Since the tickets were outrageously priced, and also the fact that it was not so easy to get there from where we were at that time, we could not attend the proshows. From the photo gallery in the event site, it looks like the proshows went well.
We had a great dinner and came back for a tight sleep - we were so tired waiting and standing for the registrations. We woke up so late on day 2. More about it in Part 2!
By the end of day 1, we quite liked the campus... It is so nice and green. It is well planned, the hostels blocks are situated in proper positions, canteens placed appropriately to cater our needs. The main campus looks great - perfectly placed to study. I don't know how the academics happen, I am just saying about the atmosphere @ VIT!
'All in all, I was happy I could attend Riviera '11!'

If you have missed Riviera this year, you have missed a lot!
VIT rocks!
ak

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment with Facebook