Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Share Auto rides in Chennai!

"தமிழன் என்று சொல்லடா
தலை நிமிர்ந்து நில்லடா!"
This famous saying goes well for all of us who have travelled in share autos in this lovely city of Chennai!
Whether it is the Tata Magic vehicle or the golden-oldie yellow share autos (see images below), one thing is for sure - entertainment guaranteed! (Yeah, the tag line fits here more than it does for SONY television!)
Introduced only some years ago, the share autos have quite a bit of influence in the lives of Chennai people nowadays. From short distance emergency rides to long distance routes not covered by buses, share autos serve it all. We can stop them wherever we want and this only adds to our advantage. I am going to share here my own observations about this topical mode of transport covering the lighter sides of it!

 The first thing that strikes you about this 'hyper-modern' transport is that there is NO seating limit! It all depends on the moods and talents of the driver - he can accommodate any number of persons he wants!
 Being a frequent user of this means myself, I have experienced sitting in all the places. But I am a last bench guy in college - so I prefer to be seated at the last here also. One advantage in sitting at the last is that, u can have a look at all the other travellers. Sometimes, when I travel in Tata Magic, I prefer the front seat near the driver when I want to relax. (Usually I will be the only person seated there, so... privacy!)
There is one more funny quotient associated with the Tata Magic van - in some vans, you can find plastic stools at the rear end behind the main seating area. If you find such a van, GO AND TAKE THE LAST STOOL! It's fully worth it. You can see and smile at all the drivers and funny things that happen behind you. I have tried this many times myself and had had a nice laugh at all the other drivers who almost always look pissed off!
'Looking at them makes me feel I am much happier than 60% of Chennai's on-the-road population!'
Sometimes, people acknowledge my smile and they become happy too!

Of course, a coin has two sides. There will be some bad days when you have to be contended sitting in the middle of the auto...
'This is not funny anymore when you are 'out' in the middle!'
If you are in the middle, you are screwed! There is no comeback for you. You will be really upset finding yourself among all the old-aged pensive looking Indians! I always try to look happy but man, they all have a 'professor' look on their faces (No, I am not usually lucky to sit among pleasant looking youth boys and girls inspite of travelling many times) and they scare the shit out of me! I always think during these times... 'How on earth did I land up here???'

If you want to learn bad words in Chennai tamil, a share auto ride is definitely a top option!

(For boys only) : Share auto rides are quite popular now for entertainment purposes! It's mostly full-house!
(For girls only) : You will get a seat anyway, and stopping share autos are quite easy for you!

When the roads are full of ups and downs and you are seated in a not-so-friendly seat, better watch your *** :) !

All in all, you are not a Chennaiite if you are not enjoying your bumpy share auto rides!

Have fun! Happy travelling!
Arunkarthik :)

2 comments:

Comment with Facebook