Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

PLACEMENTS, INTERVIEWS et al.

A Very Warm Welcome to all Readers :) !

When 4th year comes, there comes this thing called 'placements'! Ah yeah, 'engineering' students and those who have some knowledge about colleges know what I am talking about!
Some people are so visionary - they browse for which college offers better placements even before entering that college for the FIRST year! Yeah, I repeat - FIRST year!
All that is said and done. Let's talk about this 'placement' thing now. I think I can talk about it since I am nearing my FOURTH year. Well... please don't laugh. It happens automatically. You sit and fart in an engineering college, you come to fourth year. It's not a big deal folks! You will hear many names - Wipro, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Cognizant (CTS), Infosys, Accenture (yeah, recently added)... the list is endless. One thing is for sure - they won't take you easily! They give you a great hype as if they are going to make u a millionaire or as if they are going to make u the President of India ( I am not sure if they would have faced tests like this either!). After overcoming all the 'tests', you will be paid a salary that is much less your worth mostly!
Some of the tests:
1) Interview - Hearing this name, many people will piss their pants. I don't get this at all! Seems they will ask questions like "Do you have any questions?" (this question usually is the finishing question) and you are supposed to ask something. (after all that flurry of questions!) You can't say 'Can I leave? Are u taking me or not?' I guess proposing a girl was easier.
2) Group Discussion - You fools! Can't I have my own group? Why would I discuss something with strangers? And for heaven's sake, who are you to monitor our discussions??? And another thing... You hire us and then see if we fit in the group or not. If you are not confident of your own selection skills, why do u mess with us? Alright, give me a few hot girls in the group and I will discuss... :)
3) Aptitude test - We are in FOURTH year. Does it count?
4) Technical questions - Ask our professors. If they know the answers, surely we will know! They taught us for 48 damn months! We know nothing! :)
5) HR interview - Hello dude! How are you? Seems this is not enough for that fatso! We need more I guess! We have to flirt him for atleast 20 minutes. If he is pleased, he'll select us! :)
6) Tell me you ingenious people... When will I enjoy with the money I got? At the age of 58??? (I hope you all get this point! If you are not getting it, read all my previous blog posts!)
------
A few weeks ago, one multi-national company (I think TCS) came to our college and gave some boring lecture. One particular line is still ringing in my mind "You will be spending more time with our company than with your parents..." Well... Why the hell am I working then? They also added "We will be selecting the best people here. Prepare well... bla bla...". Alright people! Only then you can make us to continue doing that! I also heard that they keep exams in the first six months even after getting placed (not in TCS, but some other company, May be here also, not sure). Now for this alone, I think I won't go! Rather, I need some one to copy during exams. But copying in IT companies doesn't sound good at all!
------
Some more stuff: There will only be 10 days casual leave. 10 days medical leave. I don't get it! Should I enjoy only 10 days in a year? There are 12 months I guess, in a year, if my common knowledge is right. Leave that. How on earth do you know I will be sick only for 10 days? Even if there's some relaxation, that's far from being humanitarian!
I hate the word 'boss'! Good morning Sir, Good evening Sir... Fuck manners!!! (Thanks Negi, Ashwin!)
-------
I am not saying 'Don't attend placements!' or 'Go jobless' or 'Act like a maniac!'. I am just saying 'Use your common sense!'
There are so many other things too. I don't want to mention those since they are not much fun either.
My dear friends who are reading this... Think just once. Do you deserve this placement or do you deserve more? Do what your heart says! We live just once. How long will you compromise? How long will you be satisfied with a second-grade thing? If you just 'feel' the right thing, do it!
 It's not about liking what you do. You got to do what you like. The first option is chosen by common people!
"Don't think. Feel!"

Sometimes in life, you have to 'exit' something to see another 'entrance'!
Will you compromise on your girlfriend / boyfriend? Think... er... feel! Yeah, that's the way to go!

I would like to finish this off with an inspiring quote from my friend...

'I don't deserve Infosys. I deserve something special!'
 - Sri Prasanth (Engineering Graduate)

உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பி!

Best Wishes!

Arunkarthik :)

4 comments:

  1. really good post!!! i had to endure a aps test, GD and then a 2 hour interview to land with a decent job!!! wish u had written this post a little earlier.. wouldnt have bothered to endure the torture :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Thanks Vaish!
    Yeah, these interviews and the beforehand preparations take the live out of mortals:)
    'Rise up... Over the rainbows!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAchi after seeing this i'm getting pissed off to face the interview da....

    ReplyDelete

Comment with Facebook