Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

'Common' man Admission Test!

It was raining a little and I had to go to Koyambedu as usual, park my two-wheeler and get a bus to the exam venue. On the way the rain gathered momentum, so did I. By the time I reached CMBT, I was totally wet. The route from CMBT to Saveetha Engineering College (my exam centre) was unknown to me and I had to strain my eyes to see the bus numbers. I called my father and he gave some instructions. I was moving back and forth between the town bus stand and route bus stand. I found it hard to retain my focus.
I looked at the sky.

It all looked very familiar. I know I always do well in this weather :) The time was 6 AM and there was no sighting the sun. I couldn't remember the last time I had so much idle time standing in a bus stand. I asked a few local people and they said I had to take some bus number. I went to the said place but couldn't find the bus.
I decided to try one of the all-faithful 'route' buses! I noticed the wordings "Chennai - Dharmapuri" and I immediately went towards it. I asked the conductor
"இந்த பஸ் பூந்தமல்லி ல  நிக்குமா?"

He answered in the affirmative and I went in. In fact, I was the first passenger to board the bus. I was wondering how I would reach the venue, in what shape I would reach. I called my father again and updated the status and cut the call.
He called me back after two minutes.
"Did you say Dharmapuri? Give the phone to the conductor!"
That was all. The two good men knew each other. By God's grace, within a span of two minutes, the bus was transformed to a direct transport to my exam centre, which was well on the way!
"The bus wouldn't have stopped otherwise!"
-------------
I reached the venue well ahead of time, about an hour or so. Fantastic organization in Saveetha, as is often the case in this place, or, so I've heard. No hassles, everything was spot on. The Prometric people had done a wonderful job. These kind of infrastructure rather motivated me to do well!
"When the dressing room infrastructure is good, even a debutant plays well"
-------------
I had a stop in Poonamalle bus stand on the way back. It was this place that gave me immense satisfaction. I haven't been to a township for long. There was everything - a mad rush of people, a samosa+tea shop, citizens carrying wire bags, 'n' number of provisional stores, vegetarian hotels small and big, yellow coloured houses, families travelling together - a rarity in Chennai 'city', there was no 'single' person; it was either large families or a family of three or four - everything that was so close to me! அப்படியே சொந்த ஊருக்கு சென்றது போல் இருந்தது! I asked a person where the CMBT buses come. His reply showed me clearly there are still good people on this earth. "You can walk into the bus stand and get a bus. But they go in a roundabout route. You can even get share autos here, but they take a long time. Do one thing. Stand right here, you will get long distance buses going directly to Chennai. You can have a relaxed ride and reach CMBT quickly!"
And I did just that!
Just about 500 metres from there, I could see a house with a beautiful garden around it, and in the entrance, a bunch of old men waving at the bus.  சென்னையில் இது போன்ற காட்சிகள் காண்பது கொஞ்சம் அபூர்வம் தான்! அந்த ரோஜா பூக்களை பார்த்த போது ஒரு "holiday picnic" சென்ற அனுபவம்!

I tried hard to think about the CAT exam performance, but I was lost in the beauty of Chennai city. Friends called just after the exam. Happy.
Route bus was going fast, no halts. Happy.
Songs in the background.

Everything appeared so perfect for the day.
 All I asked for, was a hassle-free CAT exam. I got more than just 'that'! Including the beautiful people in the exam venue! :D
I knew the exam had gone well!
---------------------
Back to Chennai city... traffic...
ak


2 comments:

Comment with Facebook