Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Classically Classical !

A big 'வணக்கம்' to all readers! Yes, Tamil is overflowing here since it's the MUSIC SEASON here in Chennai and all the 'sabha's are flooding with people!
I've always had the feeling that Chennai did NOT represent Tamil Nadu in the recent times. Probably, I was wrong. During the months of October to December, some how Chennai manages to put up a decent show! And How!!!

(For those of you who don't know how a 'mirdangam' looks like!)
On November 12th, I got a call from my 'mirdangam' friend that he was performing in a special function to be held at 'Sri Krishna Gana Sabha'. Being an auspicious day, we also had a marriage to attend the same evening. "Hell with it" I thought. "I will attend the music function and see if time permits". Deep down, I knew I had the 'music' on top of the list! :)
The venue was obviously T.Nagar and I knew I had to start early enough to dodge the traffic and reach on time. (Guys, remember one thing. You can always spot 'someone' during these music shows :D ) The moment we (Mom, Sis and I) reached the place, we were greeted heartily "வாங்கோ வாங்கோ! உள்ள போங்கோ!" by a few elderly gentlemen, surely around 65-80 years of age.
"A few good men!"
When I opened the hall door (it was a classic wooden door, well-painted and appeared fresh and clean), I could not help but notice a powerful aroma of camphor and something else that was simply too pleasant for the Chennai noses! The chairs looked interesting too, it all had an aesthetic sense of music in it! The AC was already in 'ON' condition (damn, the CSE language!) and it was quite comfortable to remain seated. I was even prepared to switch off my mobile (which I very rarely volunteer to do) to immerse myself into the music.
"Such was the atmosphere! Just amazing!"
Having attended a few performances of my friend before, I was expecting a much similar one this time too. But I was in for something special and I had no clue at that time. I noticed the banner...
"MADURAI MANI IYER'S BIRTH CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS"
"Okay, probably there will be a speech too!", I thought. I was right, but there was more. A lineup of great old men arrived...


TN Krishnan


TK Murthy (left)


TN Krishnan (Violin), TK Murthy (Mridangam), Lalgudi Jayaraman and a few other legends whose names I don't remember now. Other prominent guests were ex-Chief Election Commissioner Mr.Gopalaswamy, who is an ardent music follower himself and a prominent higher official of TCS Chennai. All in all, there appeared to be around 15 old men and 1 lady violinist. "Thank God I arrived..." I felt.
Mr.Gopalaswamy


I was even more surprised with the speech before the performances. Four people among them spoke about Madurai Mani Iyer and his contribution to music. Their senses of humor during the narration was simply great - elegant and classic! It was a travel back to the 60s and 70s hearing them talk. Even though I was not born at that time, I could vividly imagine the 'மாட வீதி' of T Nagar and the surrounding areas! Such was the clarity of speech!
"Who said old people are boring?"
I was also of that opinion, till I reached here!
Then started the performance. 2 violins (Mr.Krishnan and the lady whose name I don't know. It was never said during the function, so please excuse me!), 2 mridangams (Mr.Murthy and my friend Akash) and 1 'instrument' - I do not know the name of it. Imagine something 'jalak-jalak'! Whatever, I am not so literate about music!

It all started with the violin... the 81 year old Krishnan was at ease in the centre-stage. He managed the 'பக்க வாத்தியம்ஸ்' really well. The sync between the 2 violins and mridangam was out-of-the-world!
"I have of course seen programs like this on Television; but that CANNOT be compared to watching something like this LIVE!"
The performers never lost their grip on the performance even for a split second. It was enthralling on the whole. I may sound exaggerating. But we are all musically illiterates, so anything will appear great for us in any case! After all, they are performing for 60 years now! :)
The only hurting thing was that some people among the audience were walking out during the play of mridangam in solo. They came in again after a few minutes (taking a break). My mom recollected "This does not happen in the US; people pay attention to the whole performance!"
Well... Indians are not that great after all. We forget to remember that "The main violin is not the entire thing we came for!" I was tightly seated till the end. All the more so because Mr.Murthy is 89 years old and I can't imagine someone performing with mridangam so well @ 89! (Forget about making it to 89! :D )
I had to leave after this performance. Sadly! There was a marriage to attend. However these 40 odd minutes were like travelling in space!
"Classical music is the best!"
I made up my mind to visit a similar program some time soon!
"சென்னையின் வேகமான வாழ்க்கையில் இந்த சங்கீதப் பயணம் வெகு விமரிசையாகவே எனக்கு அமைந்தது! வாய்ப்பு கிடைத்தால் ரசித்துப் பாருங்கள்! மீண்டும் சந்திப்போம்!"
Until next time,
ச ரி க ம ப... !
Ta ta! :)

2 comments:

  1. Sema writing!!! Classical words stand out!! Great work bro :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Thanks KP! :)
    Ever seen any concert live? :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment with Facebook